This course acquaints students with classical and contemporary normative ethical theories, both Christian and secular, and to discuss current ethical issues in light of these theories. We will examine the arguments for different positions on various contemporary moral issues and evaluate them from a Christian perspective. The goal of this course is to prepare students to reason carefully through contemporary ethical issues and assess them from a Christian perspective.
The course especially focuses on the following:
- biblical ethics
- Kingdom/gospel ethics
- contemporary schools of ethical thought
- virtue ethics
- contemporary ethical issues
- ethical leadership development
Most importantly, we have rich opportunities to be transformed by the Word of God, the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ, and his apostolic mission, and take advantage of those opportunities.
- Demonstrate understanding of the basics of classical and contemporary normative ethical theories, both secular and Christian.
- Assess these classical and contemporary normative ethical theories from a Christian perspective.
- Show familiarity with contemporary ethical issues, the arguments for the various positions on these issues, and evaluate them from a Christian perspective.
- Demonstrate the critical reasoning skills necessary to carefully thinking through contemporary ethical questions from a Christian perspective.